NYC, I'm not feeling you.

Yeah. Still here. The big apple.

So, it IS true, Portland has the best espresso. The best bike culture, the best racing scene, the best organic produce, the best coffee shops. What can I say? We are spoiled. At least I know it. I used to think I was this super tough big city kid when I was living in San Francisco. Now I can’t handle all the people and hustle-bustle! Portland has turned me into a softie!

I drove up from Newark, Delaware Monday afternoon and made it to Sarah and Thomas’ house. They have a little apartament in Prospect Heights with our friend Johnny Mayhem in Brooklyn. That is where I am staying. It is all of 4 blocks from Prospect park, a nice little park, closed to traffic most of the time and filled with little footpaths and “forest” trails. It was pouring all day Tuesday and I dutifully hopped on the Vanilla and made it up into the park for a couple hours of sluggish practice. Stairs abound in the park and I made good use.

My old friend Mark Beattie gave me a call and said he would meet me up in the park for a ride. We meet up after it starts raining really hard (I had been riding a couple hours already) and getting cold out. He did not bring his bike, I guess it was farther to go home and get it than to just head straight to the park from his girlfriend’s house.

Mark Beattie was THE person I hung out with when I first got into cross racing. We would scam rides and make our way up to Tacoma and Steliacoom as well as doing the Crusades series races 4 years ago. He let me borrow those Simon Burney cyclocross books for a while and I just devoured them. Mark is a true friend. He was a wrench at the Performance out in Beaverton and at the CCC for a while and would help out in the Veloshop a bunch when I was really struggling. Donating parts and labor ALL the time. He even helped me fanagle a warranty return on a frame I cracked at Mt. Tabor race one year. He was totally pro: had 2 single speed bikes at the races (granted they were frenchy POS bicycles and falling apart all the time) and I thought he was nuts at the time. “Why don’t you just ride with gears? You crazy!” Little did I know…

I got us lost in the park and we eventually met back up at Sarah’s. We walked to Gorilla coffee where I bought him a coffee and we chatted. I remembered that he is one of the founding Veloshop team members too. Mark B, old school, the original pink kit! I think Ira Ryan and Bridgette Stoick are only a couple of the current riders who rocked the scary pink kit.

***

Wednesday morning, I am putting my spandex on and Sarah’s cat Mimi nuzzles me and then just LAUNCHES up onto my shoulders and refuses to move! I really wanted to put a little leash on Mimi and strut around NYC like a rich old lady walking her cat. She is too cute. I usually don’t wax about kids and animals, sorry.

Once I pryed her off, I rode over the Manhattan bridge and through the city to Central park! Like I was saying before, now I am a total softie. Riding through Manhattan was horrible! There is no way I would be able to handle living in the city. I should have stopped and taken photos of the traffic I had to ride through. It took me an hour and a half to ride from Brooklyn, over the Manhattan bridge and up into Central park! It was pretty funny. I could not handle having to do that everyday to just get some quality training time in.

Once I got into Central park I spun for a few minutes. There were some roadies doing thier thing. Lots of MERLIN bicycles here! The park is packed! There are literally people everywhere! It is hard to find a quiet spot to yourself. Dodging runners and walkers and carriages and piles of horseshit. I really had to pee and it became painfully clear I would have to go home to pee. It has been frigid here. (ok, I get cold when it is 60 degrees out.) It was biting (40 degreesish) and really windy out. So, I turned around. I got a little lost on the way back but, eventually wandered back to the Manhattan bridge and back to the apartament. Took a bath, shaved the legs, headed back out on the subway to Manhattan to meet Sarah for an early dinner.

VP2. That means Vegetarian Paradise 2. Mango mock chicken. Mmmm. Oh, yeah. What is the deal with nobody being Vegan anymore? I feel like I am the only one left. Again, Portland is a veggie haven but, all of my old friends are not living it anymore. In NYC, Portland, wherever! I remember something cute before I left. Erik Tonkin leans over to me and asks, “So you are still Vegan right?” Yep, I am. “Yeah? Make sure you get enough protein. It is important!” It was a sincere gesture of concern. Yes, Vegans are at risk of not getting enough of a lot of nutrients. And before I go on a tirade, yes, most Vegans and vegetarians I know are “bad” vegans. It truly takes effort to eat right. Add being a serious athlete or a really, really busy person to that and it becomes really, REALLY hard to keep on top of a healthy diet.

What is the point? I think it becomes hard (and expensive!) to keep up a healthy vegan lifestyle. Thats got to be the big reason people kinda fade out of the lifestyle. It actually gets tiring and stressful sometimes having to fanagle eating right.

That is why I’ve switched to espresso and cookies. Quick and cheap. Keep you going for days on end.

Ok. I am ending this post. Been working on it for too long.

12 comments for “NYC, I'm not feeling you.”

1. blargh! I couldn’t eat animal again ever. Even when it becomes inconvenient and expensive(just slightly) and a chore to label read and think about an overall healthy diet, I could never go so far as to eat garbage. Junked up garbage as a product of torture and murder. All veg atheletes are heroes IMO.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2005, 3:28 pm
  2. Hey Molly…lowly cat C cross racer from P-town here…you don’t know me, but I know you from the cross races…I stumbled upon your site when bored at work…I’ll bother you and introduce myself at a race this season…good luck at your upcoming races…keep you head up, matt f

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2005, 3:48 pm
  3. One thing NYC does have is good bialys and bagels. Try a bialy before you leave. It will be worth the trip I promise. I promise! Kossar’s Bialys, 367 Grand St, Lower East Side (of Manhattan) (near Delancey St station on the F train). Great with Tofuti (or cream cheese). This place is the bialy mecca of the world.

I’m enjoying reading about your East Coast cross exploits. I’m a none-too-serious cross racer, more of a roadie, but lok forward to having you kick my ass at a Cross Crusade race sometime soon.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2005, 4:05 pm
  4. Hooray for Mark Beattie!!!
    We sure miss him around here. Glad you got to see him.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2005, 4:25 pm
  5. Go to Cafe Atlas in the East Village for damn fine vegan desserts!

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2005, 7:21 pm
  6. Molly-I’m not so sure who has fallen off the wagon…but thanks to you and Tommy’s gentle and consistant ways, I’m nearly vegan myself. Way more aware than I was four months ago. ;) thanks you! Michelle

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2005, 11:04 pm
  7. AHfM has some good articles for vegetarian athletes. check them out:

I’m sure you’ve seen them already.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2005, 8:43 am
  8. Molly, I met you this past Sunday, I parked next to you at Wiss and drooled on your bike (Sorry about that)… Anyway, Did you try to ride your Vanilla Cross bike around NYC?? If so no wonder you didn’t have fun, that bike is too bling for NYC. If it was a Vanilla Fixie you may have made out a little better…. NYC is a different vibe from Portland that’s for sure… but it has it’s good! Good Luck at Gloucester!

Posted by CA | October 28, 2005, 8:45 am
  9. for more mark beattie go to:

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2005, 8:52 am
  10. it’s very nice of the fellow racer to voice his concern over your vegan ways, but the fact is vegetarians and vegans needn’t worry about getting enough protein. in fact, many Americans get too much protein, which according to the American Heart Association may put them at higher risk of kidney and liver disorders, and osteoporosis.

Further, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture & U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:

Protein is not limiting in vegetarian diets as long as the variety and amounts of foods consumed are adequate.

Further, they specifically leave protein off the list of concerns for vegans:

Because animal products are the only food sources of vitamin B12, vegans must supplement their diets with a source of this vitamin. In addition, vegan diets, particularly those of children, require care to assure adequacy of vitamin D and calcium, which most Americans obtain from dairy products.

mike b.
    veloshop racing

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2005, 9:30 am
  11. I second the protein notions of Mike B. I turned vegetarian at 13 and have put up with years of nagging, “How do you get your protein?” and “How are you going to grow?”

Fucking cookies and espresso, duh!

No, really, what most people don’t realize is that many grains are better complete protein sources than meat and dairy sources. I like brown rice over soy, because I think my body just got sick of soy. What sucks is that soy-based vegetarian products are not only more available but fucking ubiquitous. There are some good fruit/vegetable and brown rice-based protein and energy products out there, and I recommend them also (if you think you need the extra protein or energy), because I think replacing dairy/meat with all or mostly soy-based protein products is cramped. I’m not saying soy is boring, but that there has to be a limit to how much of one thing your body can handle, especially when it’s a fucking LEGUME.

Lately I’ve had a little paranoia that soy is actually humans.

That being said, there’s this funny (i.e. fake soy meat) little Thai restaurant called Pukk in NYC’s East Village. Check it out.

Posted by Little Package | October 28, 2005, 12:50 pm
  12. While you were in Newark DE, You should have checked out Sinclair’s cafe. Not sure about Vegan, but definately vegatarian.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2005, 4:20 pm