Eugene cyclocross #3

A quick race report.

Muck. Snotty, mucky mud.

I drove down to Eugene Sunday morning after getting a few hours of sleep (loud upstairs neighbor). Mike Hilbrant, Beth Chase and Brian and I arrived with plenty of time to check out the course, practice and fake like we were warming up in the rain.

Our new teammate Sho cleaned up the C category race and then we got to see Nicole Nestlen take the women’s B race from the start. Impressive.

A cluster of Veloshop B category riders used this race to try out the Elite category with mixed success. I think it was a good test for them.

I had to set up my 29er mountain bike as a faux cross bike on Saturday when my cyclocross bikes did not show up in the UPS Friday. Guess I’ll get them on Monday or something.

It was so rad, rocking the full fenders and straight bars, I even spent an hour the night before cutting the outer knobs off an old pair of my Schwalbe tyres. Gave myself a blister!

I felt great during the race. I took the hole shot and led the first lap until the mudpit section where I was riding everything and a few people passed me running it. I moved back in to the front with Chris Brandt and then attacked him around the backside of the course and kept a gap for the rest of the race.

I had a few mechanicals in the last laps. Chain suck, derailleur getting jammed in the hardest gear, more chain suck. I had to stop and yank the chain out of itself more than once. I thought my rear brake was f’ed up too but, I think it was just packed with mud the whole time.

To be fair, I think I had a big advantage on the mountain bike. It would have been a different race if I was on a cross bike. It does weigh about 10 pounds more than my gucci cross bikes though.

Hey, I won some socks for Brian!!

20 comments for “Eugene cyclocross #3”

1. ok listen up, we know your not a vegan!!

seriously. youre just sayin that to get sponsorship from the hipster-retro -messenger-kids, but i know youre really scarffing red meat and popping heme iron at any chance you can get.

EVERYONE: theres no way this rider could attack and hold off my bro in a crossrace if wasnt a meat eater.

VEGAN KIDS: eat some freaking free range organic grass fed animals for once, its the cycle of life thats existed thousands of years prior to trustafarians.

peace suckers!

NB

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2005, 11:53 pm
  2. that last comment was just dumb. Thanks for not being dumb Molly!
    hj

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 12:00 am
  3. i concur, if not for any other reason but that calories are calories regardless of where they come from.

also, is the blog of a vegan track racer and you can find some other vegan atheletes, cyclists amongst them here.

and though the term “vegan” is from the early 1900s, the principles behind being vegan seriously predates trustafarians. 2nd millenium BC predating, that is.

duh.

Posted by bikefridaywalter | November 7, 2005, 8:58 am
  4. well alright frutarians.

All i’m saying is we should keep politics out of bike racing. Until Critical Mass, PETA and Vegans United decide to pay my race fees and travel expenses, then lets just focus on racing. (Though political sponsorship could be a new way for us bike racers to make a living.)

Whether your vegetarian, frutarian, vegan or whatever, i prefer to follow the wisdom of old man D. Lama:

“In the mid 1960s, the Dalai Lama was impressed by ethically vegetarian Indian monks and adopted a vegetarian diet for about a year and a half. Apparently he consumed primarily nuts and milk. Unfortunately, he contracted Hepatitis B and his liver was seriously damaged. For health reasons, he was advised by his personal physicians to consume meat. While he has eaten meat in moderation ever since, the Dalai Lama has repeatedly acknowledged that a vegetarian diet is a worthy expression of compassion and contributes to the cessation of the suffering of all living beings. However, he eats meat only on alternate days (six months a year). He is a semi-vegetarian, though he wishes to be a full one. By making an example of cutting his meat consumption in half, he is trying to gently influence his followers.”

Life is suffering, and thats why i’m an organic semi-vegetarian semi-pro cyclist.

NB

ps. (i read on eriksaunders.com that molly eats bufallo steak the morning before a race, habitually keeps teriyaki beef jerky from costco in the jersey pocket and has a toptube guard made from leather, complete with beaded frills, like the kind harley-davidson motorcyclists use, which refer back to ancient native americans who used frills as decoration on their leather pants prior to their genocide which was led by the white bourgeois who pioneered bioterrorism through the use of blankets infected with small pox)

pps. Any political organizations that want to sponsor my racing, please hit me up at myspace.com/nicholasbrandt

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 10:01 am
  5. Have any of the Vegan Straighedge Hardcore racers out there read much about the history of nutrition? Humans have been nibbling on meat for as long as we’ve been around.

As soon as we got out of the muck and started crawling, we were munching on Slim Jims like the Macho Man Randy Savage.

I know for a fact that NB loves nothing better than the taste of tube steak.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 10:26 am
  6. vegan hemopure?

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 11:12 am
  7. So what humans have been eating meat for a long time? They’ve also kept slaves and committed genocide for a long time. Does this mean we were meant to enslave and kill one another? Men have nipples. Should they be nursing babies? Instead of groping for slippery anthropological artifact and citing studies you don’t even CITE*, why not just take a quick look at yourself, and your own diet, and why it makes you feel SO. DAMN. SLOW.

*CITATIONS:

1) A 2.5 million year old gnawed bone is found. So what? Since when are meat-packing closet creationists coming out and using archeoanthropological science to defend their bloody diets? See “beef council.” And citation 5.

2) “Meat, not only as a nutritionally desirable food item but also as a social currency that is controlled by males and therefore is a tool for the maintenance of patriarchal systems, plays an essential part in the social systems of both traditional human and some nonhuman primate societies.” And this describes how meat made humans more intelligent? Wow. Gee. Glad to be intelligent.

3) “The slogan ‘meat means energy‘ is used by those who want to justify meateating, because this society, based on competition, free and unfettered competition and social climbing, demands we wear an aggressive scowl which will help us get on in the world, win our life struggles.” Refer again to citation 1.

4) ‘We’re evolving to eat mush,’ said Bernard Wood, a paleoanthropologist at George Washington University.”

So what humans have big canines? They used to use them to rip into fresh, still-warm meat they’d hunt themselves. Now they just suck down meat patties and pat├ęs they pay pennies for at the drive-through and frozen food aisles. The result? Orthodontic nightmares in our progeny: smaller jawbones and malocclusions which make it even more difficult (or expensive) for most people to comfortably and efficiently chew a good meat. Just make sure you give your baby a bone to chew on. This is a message from the beef council.

5) Lest I forget! The Bible!

“At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food.” Daniel 1:5-16 “It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.” Romans 14

Posted by Little Package | November 7, 2005, 11:55 am
  8. I think I’m going to give up Veganism so I don’t have to make excuses for my frilly leather Motley Crue jacket. Thanks for “outing” me NB, geez!

And yes, I had a steak and eggs for breakfast.

Posted by Molly Cameron | November 7, 2005, 12:45 pm
  9. well articulated ‘little package’!

lets talk further about your nipples on myspace.com/nicholasbrandt

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 2:03 pm
  10. I’ve received several emails in regards to your disk brakes at this weekends cyclocross race. As you are well aware, disk brakes are banned in cyclocross by the UCI. This sort of flagrant disrespect for UCI sporting regulations is of great concern with OBRA.

I will be suggesting a one month suspension for unsporstmanlike conduct.

Best,

CANDI M.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 5:38 pm
  11. When I told you to “suck it up” I didn’t mean your gut for the photo. We love you Molly, let it hang out.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 9:07 pm
  12. Why is everyone trying to one up the next god damn post here. Let It do what it wants to do, and eat what it wants to eat enough said.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 9:22 pm
  13. Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 10:32 pm
  14. Didn’t you know the ban on disc brakes was lifted Candi? Silly.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 10:52 pm
  15. Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2005, 11:00 pm
  16. How about a northwest battle of the sexes race between chris brandt and mollly cameron.

like they did in tennis in the 70′s.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2005, 10:35 pm
  17. GET OFF THE INTERNET, HIPPIES!

Posted by dawn riddle | November 9, 2005, 3:02 pm
  18. hippies invented the internet, stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 11:23 pm
  19. if you clean up the C Class…
    that means you are sandbagging…

hope they stepped up to the Bs

Posted by gwadzilla | November 16, 2005, 2:12 pm
  20. Hey Molly, love the bike. It gave me some inspiration when I built up mine!

Keep on killin’ it!