Freezing weather, frozen heart.

Damn. Overslept again. Been meaning to do these 2-3 hour rides the last few days and cannot get myself into the spandex in the morning.

The Veloshop is crazy busy like usual. Building up cross tubulars, ordering tons of product for the kids. Cyclocross fever is still in full swing. If I had to summarize: Chris King, track bikes, Spooky brakes, Phil Wood and, every color Velocity rim imaginable.

There was a nice little article in the Willamette Week about cyclocross this morning.

Quote: “Erik Tonkin sits hunched on a metal stool, his carved thighs hidden beneath loose gray pants.”

Meow.

Road season thoughts are creeping into my head. Stage racing, team bikes, sponsorships, personal priorities. I’ve got big road season fantasies. I always kinda do this time of year. I think I am fast at cross and that means I should be fast at road racing. Well, bad knees (I just can’t seem to do more than a couple hours without debilitating pain) and poor endurance has kept me from any real road racing glory. Not to add the Veloshop obligations. It is damn hard to find the energy to run the shop after a 4 hour ride and vice versa. Who wants to ride for 4 hours after building wheels for 10? Me, I guess.

Ok, I’ll stop the whining. I’m just kicking myself for not getting on the bike these last 2 days.

And, the verdict is in. I’m can’t be vegan cause I’m a fast bike racer. Your right, I’m not vegan anymore. I gave it up for the performance enhancing benefits of beef. Ha!

Lets talk about Roberto Heras for a moment. WTF? Everybody is getting busted for doping! The only good thing that could come out of that is, they have NOT tested his B sample yet and, if it (the B sample) comes out clean then that may bode well for the loveable Tyler Hamilton.

One can hope right?

Oh, I almost got in a fight with a commuter a couple nights ago. I blew a stop sign blocks from my house and this guy said “nice stop jerk” or something and I instinctively gave him the finger. Not that I go looking for trouble or anything. But, he looks back and says something like “Oh yeah! Bring that shit back here!” So I was like, Ok. I figured, what the hell. If some hippie on a bike wants to harass me for blowing a stop sign and then wants to bring it on…

See, I have this thing about following through. I really loathe macho posturing. Usually I just ignore it but, I like to stand up for myself you know? I’d rather not have a story like “Man I WOULD have beat them up if they would have turned around.” I’d rather actually step up.

“jigga what?”

Yeah, too much Kanye. (it must be all the meat I started eating! it is making me aggro!)

As I am turning around I realise how silly it would be for me to even get in an arguement about blowing a stop sign with another cyclist and I turn around again and keep riding up towards my house. He starts pursuing me and preaching and shouting about how we need to respect the law and karma and ends with, “I hope you get fucking hit!”

Geez!

Cross Crusades race this Sunday. Shannon and Eric are going to put the hurt on me. My little goal will be to stick to them like glue. No matter what the cost. If they are putting in consistent top 10 efforts in the UCI races then that is something to aspire to. I’ve got to step up to that level of speed.

Here are a couple of things I have been struggling with: carrying a line of bicycles in the shop and racing on another (non-veloshop non-vanilla) cycling team.

I hate selling complete bikes. Like bikes off the show floor bikes. I like putting together custom builds for people. They choose the frame and components, I usually build up some sweet wheels and spec out the dream bike. But it is kinda hard to keep up with demand and sell bikes sight unseen. Plus, I don’t get the good pricing that bigger shops do that carry big name brands. My pricing is much higher on bikes and build kits and I often undercut myself to keep it a good deal for my clients. But, a couple of my teammates have bought frames or complete bikes from other shops and I have been like “hey, I could have set you up with that!” but the appeal is actually having the damn bike in your shop so people can see it and touch it. Pick it up and say “yeah that’s like 18 pounds…”. So, I am contemplating buying a few complete cross bikes for next season. But, they must be bikes I would ride. I cannot sell something I would not be proud to race on.

And, racing for another team…

Well, I don’t have any Veloshop teammates racing with me on the road this year. It is pretty rough playing solo racer in a long road race. It would be nice to have a few teammates that can race at my level. So my mind wanders. Ideally I would find a team that is pretty serious and would be interested in helping with some racing expenses. The flip side is that I like doing my own thing and I think a lot of people respect me for it. I think I’ll be starting the season in my Veloshop colors and trying to finish the first few road races in the front group and just go from there. If it feels like I really need a team to ride with I’ll weigh my options. Maybe I can find a team for the bigger stage races and just do like a composite team thing if I can make time for the stage racing.

I’m off. Got to work so I can pay for this mess of a racing career.

24 comments for “Freezing weather, frozen heart.”

1. You should get Eric Tsai to race with you next summer.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 7:13 am
  2. I mean ping pong.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 7:48 am
  3. That dude sucks. He’s fat and slow. He’s only good for rubbing Skerritt’s legs.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 8:37 am
  4. Molly-
    Are you Cat 3 on the road?

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 11:12 am
  5. na, not yet.

still cat 5.

(candi keeps delaying my upgrade cause i’ve been suspended so many times for ‘unsportsmanlike conduct’)

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 1:44 pm
  6. yeah me too…

i had to flee the state so i could race in a fast category.

watch out for OBRA, she’ll get you!

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 1:46 pm
  7. HEY VANILLA BIKES:

you gotta get some fast guys in SOUTHERN CALI to represent!

ever heard of the bicyclekitchen.com ?

midnight ridazz?

Theres a guy down there with a mohawk whos always ripping big 25 hour weeks on the bike in echo park/silverlake/downtown… i’ll try and find his name. Theres a huge underground market.

(gotta have an in though if you want to tap it)

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 1:53 pm
  8. yo yo

i’m a messenger downtown LA… that guy with the mohawk thinks he’s hot stuff.

he’s got some fender on his bike that says “hows my riding? dial 1-866-EAT-SHIT”

yeah… rock on dude…

they need to sponsor the messengers here!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 3:13 pm
  9. mohawks are for wankers

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 3:15 pm
  10. Molly, ever since you beat chris brandt, your sites blowin’ up!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 3:16 pm
  11. so cali? talk to eddie monnier

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 3:18 pm
  12. Uh dude, molly’s a RACER.

Midnight ridazz is for hipster turds in los angeles.

hipsturds

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 3:20 pm
  13. wait, brandt’s still ranked #1 overall.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 3:21 pm
  14. shanon skerritt used to bang catherine opie the photographer.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 3:34 pm
  15. huh?

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2005, 3:35 pm
  16. Yikes.

You all need to start leaving your “identities” or make up some fake usernames and stuff cause some of these comments are hilarious. I can’t keep track of the dialogue.

BTW I’m a 2 on the road. (finally)

Not that I really deserve it. Just wait, come April this diary will be all like:

“ouch, that race was fast, I “shoulda” won BUT, I missed the break, and I wish it was cross season again and boo-hoo my knees are sore and wah-wah it is cold outside and, damn it, I missed the break again.”

Posted by Molly Cameron | November 10, 2005, 4:38 pm
  17. cloaking ego in humour might fool some, but not me. nice try.

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2005, 12:35 pm
  18. yeah, me neither.

Its the hours on the bike that matter, not the mouth ramblings. (though it does make things a little more fun)

who are all these people???

SV

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2005, 1:24 pm
  19. i’m erik tonkin and you all better shutup before i punch your lights out!

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2005, 1:33 pm
  20. the real erik tonkin would never say that.

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2005, 2:03 pm
  21. yeah, but try to picture erik saying that and youll start laughing

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2005, 2:12 pm
  22. try to TAKE a picture of erik saying that and your mom will start laughing… OOH! BURN!!

Posted by chestre | November 11, 2005, 2:27 pm
  23. Molly, I can’t believe you ditched the vegan diet! I’m dissapointed, yet thrilled! I really have nothing else to say now…
    Todd

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2005, 6:34 pm
  24. Whoa! I wonder what your team mates think of you dissing them so hard! I also wonder who would want you as a team mate after seeing this post. Good luck to you. You deserve the best.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2005, 8:36 am