Campagnolo, sarcasm, San Francisco.

Spent the day getting parking tickets, packing my bikes up and taking them to Fed Ex to ship down to Oakland for the USGP of cyclocross finals. Keely and I juggled the shop duties and eventually drove out to the Airport Holiday Inn for a Campagnolo tech seminar.

A couple of hours later we are full of more Campy than you can handle. Thats right, Veloshop is privy to techy info years before the rest of you mortals. I would have snapped photos but the Campagnolo body guards would have taken me out.

How to sum it up: Electronic shifting. “to hub or not to hub”. 4 new bottom bracket designs. Campagnolo spec clipboards and labcoats.

No joke.

It was the end of a long day, a long weekend really, that has not seemed to end. I’ve gotten barely 5 hours of sleep a night the last few days. I’m still up. Updating this damn journal so I can get heckled by anonymous and anonymous.

Sarcasm does not work on the internet huh?

I’m still Vegan.

You people are crazy! Get off the internet!

Wait, not yet, you have to keep reading this entry!

I want to go back to the race on Sunday really quick. I have a lot of thanks to shout out:

Thanks to Patrick W and the JV for rescuing John Dorfer in the forest. Thanks to Mike H for getting a Veloshop team van. Thanks to Caroline, Beth, Michelle, Bridgette, Erin, Nikki and Fiona G for getting muddy all the time. Thanks to Ira for the support. Thanks to the 50 people on the dyke who thought I was pumping up the crowd. (really I just wanted my spare bike) Thanks to Tony Pereira for the photos and race encouragement. (even though Portland does not need anymore bikeshops or small framebuilders, you are a welcome addition) Thanks to Lisa Graham for killer lap counting and support. Thanks to the Bike Gallery kids for the new helmet. Really, you did not HAVE to do me the favor. Thanks Tom McD for the photos and link.

Maybe I missed some people…

Just found this on the net. More Vanilla bike love from my race in Wissahickon. Chris was really nice to talk to.

Well, I’ve got 6 races left. 4 UCI, the National championships and then the “elite cup” the next day. Then I am right back to Portland to promote our season finale at Blue Lake park. (race website SOON to be updated, no more info yet)

I’m going to just ship the bikes right from SF to Providence RI. No point in spending another $100 just to have the bikes in Portland for a couple of weeks before nats.

I said nats. Ha!

My season is hardly over. If more opportunities present themselves, I’ll be jumping at them.

34 comments for “Campagnolo, sarcasm, San Francisco.”

1. Look forward to seeing you in Providence. We passed on going to Gloucester on Sat and my wife had other plans Sun.

Our club looks to be running spectator admission for the Nats. Come by and say hi.

Cheers,

Bruce in RI

Posted by Bruce M | November 15, 2005, 5:26 am
  2. Yeah! Flag me down if you see me and say hi! Seems like pre-registration is out of control! It is going to be a madhouse!

Posted by Molly Cameron | November 15, 2005, 8:03 am
  3. Um, I know this is about racing and all, but what about ladyfriend action?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2005, 9:22 am
  4. Madhouse indeed.

Luckily we will have nothing to do with registration, just crowd control.

There is a good amount of excitement brewing. We are making a push to get cycling on the radar in RI. The mayor (hizzonah David Cicilline ) is pro-bike and supports my other club’s criterium.

I hope y’all enjoy the town and the races. Kick some a&& too.

Bruce

Posted by Bruce | November 15, 2005, 12:19 pm
  5. you are right….
    I spend way too much time on the internet

I better get off the internet before i lose my job

Posted by gwadzilla | November 16, 2005, 2:10 pm
  6. Oh man those bike gallery kids are cool, one time, I went out to play, and they were all like totally “hey come play kickball with us,” so I did, and it was sooo cool because they had this really bouncy ball so when you kicked it it went waaaay far, and you didn’t even have to kick it that hard, so I’d always kick it really far cuz I’m like really strong, but this one time I kicked it way hard and it hit one of the bike gallery kids right on the nose, and he didn’t even cry but I think he was a little mad, but we kept playing anyway even though he was bleeding a little, and his mom came out and put a bandaid on him and he was all better, then we went inside the shop and they had tons of sweet bikes and candy and suckers for free, but the watermelon one was a little too sour for me and I didn’t really like it, but this asian guy ate it for me because he like eats anything or something, but then it was bedtime so they closed up shop and I went home, but they said they were all going out to a “bub” or a “pub” or something I don’t really know what they were talking about but I couldn’t ask them cause my mom was calling me, but anyway that was really cool and those Bike Gallery kids are really nice and a lot of fun.

Posted by Billy Gordon | November 17, 2005, 11:30 am
  7. At the age of 39 I take great offense in being refered to as a “kid”, no matter where I work. Just because I work for a bike shop does not mitigate that.

Posted by GirlOverboard | November 17, 2005, 11:49 am
  8. I’d rather be called a kid than an old hag…

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2005, 2:30 pm
  9. I’d rather be calling your MOM! oooohhh!

Posted by chestre | November 17, 2005, 3:26 pm
  10. hey, we’re all meeting molly at the outback steakhouse tonight at the corner booth.

They’ve got this 7lb steak, and if you eat the whole thing, its free! molly’s going for it big time.

Tracy Finklestein-Sorenson III

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2005, 11:54 am
  11. The outback steakhouse?

Hope molly paid her tab there. Last time we went, it was maxed out and we all had to put her lobster on our credit cards.

Kelly Kinneston
    -Trackstar cycles and tattoos

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2005, 11:58 am
  12. I remember Todd Wells used to have a section like this on his website. It was really dumb since his juvenile friends that never grew up from high school kept writing “anti gay” humor and other homophobe kinds of crude humor, all the while obviously being so gay themselves, just still in the closet. Todd removed it because it was making his sponsors look bad.

The comments on here, on the other hand, are great! Keep it up, all you fans of Molly!

Oh mah gawd! Molly is, like, SO cool. Did you see her ride that muddy gully? How does she keep up with the guys, anyways???

Randal T. Hosenpeffer

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2005, 12:18 pm
  13. I know what you mean about “how does she keep up with the guys?”…

How would she do I wonder overseas against the other world cup level ladies, like Hanka Kumpfernagel, Brigitt Holman, Lyne Bessette, etc?

If she’s that strong against the guys, she’d have to be super good with those ladies, no? I wonder if she’s thought of trying her hand w/ the women?

I guess it would be kinda embarrassing for them to be beaten so badly though. Maybe Molly’s just too kind. Oh well. Seems like it would be easier to make a living.

Marg

Posted by Margaret | November 18, 2005, 12:23 pm
  14. Hai-dee-ho!

I’d try my hand with the women…

Maybe both of them.. *SPANK*

Mr. Hanky
    (The Christmas Poo)

Posted by Mr. Hanky | November 18, 2005, 12:26 pm
  15. oh snap

Posted by todd wells | November 18, 2005, 2:24 pm
  16. Todd Wells likes the girls.

From what i hear he gets the Fort Lewis collegiate ladies cycling team wasted with naked keg stands. Ned pumps the keg and Todd holds their legs up.

When you ride fast, you get the ladies. plain and simple.

(well, at least thats my experience)

myspace.com/nicholasbrandt

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2005, 6:23 pm
  17. Actually, when you LOOK fast, you get the ladies. Just ask Ping Pong. He held a girl’s hand once out behind the quad and let me tell you, he’s one of the most unfast people I know.

Posted by Chestre Concordia | November 19, 2005, 3:10 pm
  18. Hey Molly! In your post a while back you complained about knee pain. Have you tried glucosamine or chrondroitin capsules? My mother has osteo-arthritis, and she takes it daily to relieve her knee and hip pain. Not to imply you’re arthritic or anything…but you might give it a try, it may help you this upcoming road season.

Posted by Todd Foreman-Kinder | November 20, 2005, 10:24 pm
  19. joint pain?

glucosamine’s on the WADA list. Homeopathic treatments are banned. Meat substitutes are also banned.

J R Cornelius Santa Maria M.D.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2005, 10:51 am
  20. Molly, rumor has it vanilla is hooking up some racer in los angeles.

is that true?

Jimee

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2005, 10:54 am
  21. yeah man, he’s a messenger, and it’s totally tubular how radical he is. Sascha’s gonna build him a an old skool track bike with no brake mounts, mega-huge pedal overlap and a 90 degree head angle (you know, for the quickness), and when he’s hauling ass up the sidewalk by the bus mall and his mohawk is flowing gently in the breeze, people are going to look at that guy and say “whoa dude.. extreme…”

Posted by Bart Gently | November 21, 2005, 11:57 am
  22. what kind of hook-up requires you to pay for the frames and your travel expenses? sheesh. vanilla’s good for nothing but flavoring ice cream if you ask me. Sasha on the other hand… grrrowl! Meow! Purrrr…. have you seen that furry speedo of his?

Dr. S

Posted by Dr. Slaughter | November 21, 2005, 4:02 pm
  23. Molly, did you really have to pay for your frames? I thought Vanilla gave them to you. Let’s stop this rumor before it get’s out of hand.

Becky

Posted by Becky Vandross | November 21, 2005, 4:03 pm
  24. Bart, tell us more of this famed LA messenger. Does he really ride a bike with a banana seat and frilly grip tassles? I heard he rides well, but doesn’t actually use a fixed gear bike – instead, he uses a COASTER brake!?!? Who uses a COASTER brake anymore these days???? Shees Louise… Gimme a brake!!!! Gag me with a spoon! That is SO GENERIC! Quit making me laugh, you’re going to give me PEDESTRIAN!

Posted by Skeeter McLane | November 21, 2005, 4:10 pm
  25. ack!

I’ve been out of internet range for ONE weekend and all hell breaks loose on the comments…

Yes, I paid my Outback tab (we are meeting at Hooters later FYI, corrner table, the usual) Yes, I would get spanked by the UCI ladies (Lynn Bessette WAS riding the big run up in Watsonville) Todd Wells STILL makes juvenille jokes in bad taste. No I did NOT have to pay for my frames (though the STI levers I busted this weekend and my gucci Dura ace 10 speed cranks came outta my pocket). I’ll do a big gender identity post soon and then we can all have a field day making my sponsors uncomfortable!

Did you see me ride the gully in Barton? I’m so cool!

ha!

Posted by Molly Cameron | November 21, 2005, 6:51 pm
  26. oooh! gender identity post coming…. I’ll be standing by… on the edge of my seat!!!!!!!

Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t see Gucci as a sponsor on your blog though… Do they provide you with watches, purses, and whathaveyou?

Becky

Posted by Becky Vandross | November 22, 2005, 11:17 am
  27. Lets stay on topic here:

The guy in LA, he’s a roadie, not a messenger, tough as nails, broke and needs a frame, components and wheelset. Used or new, the guy probably will take anything functional, then spank everyone with it.

Show this “Brandt-Sorenson III” character some Vanilla love!!

-the kitchen

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2005, 3:50 pm
  28. Brandt-Sorenson the third?

LOL

Is that his real name? Someone throw this guy parts or something. We’re all so tired of his speeches about “the man” and “the bike industry”.

did he get kicked off veloworx or something??

RL

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2005, 4:02 pm
  29. PEDESTRIAN??

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2005, 4:04 pm
  30. I may have actually ridden with the famed “Brandt-Sorenson III” character you speak of. Rumors of spandex stitch quad tearing are slightly exaggerated, but if that is indeed who I THINK it is, he IS pretty fast. I hear when he can avoid the cars and weiner dogs, he can actually pull until there’s no-one else left to be pulled. Molly, if you have ANY say on who get’s hooked up by Sascha, you GOTTA put in a good word. Just think of the number of LA pretty boys who’d pay a pretty penny to get their hands on such a steed. Even more attractive to them under the hands of a red-cheeked Danish pretty boy.

Marc

Posted by Marcus A. | November 22, 2005, 4:47 pm
  31. Sometimes, when people hold me down and tickle me, I can’t bear it… because it makes me get PEDESTRIAN!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2005, 4:50 pm
  32. Brandt’s real forte is his ability to identify many different kinds of shrubs.

He has won the title of “the shrub man to see if you have an issue with your shrubs growth or grub infestations” in LA’s biggest shrubbery hotzone: Griffith Park.

Hats off to Brandt.

In addition to his devastating rideaway attack any time he feels emotionally uncomfortable with his group ride partners, he knows the ins and outs of what it takes to get by the skin of your teeth as an art prep. He knows the man is holding him down and will never give the man the satisfaction of watching him stand up.

Fantastic regards to Molly Cameron, cyclocross hero and leader of the homegrown shop movement,

Bruce Steel

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2005, 9:25 pm
  33. Oh man.

Molly, I go away from your blog for a couple weeks and the thing blows up!!

Ever since I pointed out your red meat eating habits. Its nice to see that I have some wonderful fans. Yes I am logging 24 hour training weeks on the bike, and lifting twice a week here in Los Angeles California. No Eddie Monnier did not kick me off Team Veloworx.

But yes everyone, I’m searching for a sponsor. Thanks for the support.

Nicholas Brandt-Sorenson III

(Perhaps us Brandt brothers should start our own blog, along with chestre, finklestein and bruce steel.)

Posted by Nicholas Brandt-Sorenson III | November 23, 2005, 11:18 am
  34. stop making me laugh, youre gonna give me PEDESTRIAN!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2005, 11:19 am