It's a cold world out there.

The weather has really taken it out of me this week. I have had NO motivation. I like this time of year, spending late hours in the shop building wheels, cleaning the shop up and what not, though it becomes really difficult to get out and ride.

Did a couple hours this morning with Brian and we froze our butts off. It was kinda pathetic. We made it back to our house after an espresso and I was still shivering.

Good luck to my posse of Veloshop racers who are heading up to Steilacom park this Sunday. I’m skipping it, both my bikes are in Rhode Island. I thought about singlespeeding it but, I’m going to use this chance to catch up on shop work. Maybe a long mountain bike ride this Sunday is in order.

Not a whole lot to report today. Makes me wonder what I will have to write about for the next few months when there is no racing going on. “did 3 hours today. did 3 hours yesterday. gonna do 3 hours tomorrow. it is raining…” Maybe I’ll use the down time to launch my critique of the capitalist undercurrent inherent in bicycle racing. Or not.

Speaking of capitalism. I get a lot of shit about my bikeshop. I get, “Eww, this place is too high-end” from the punks and “Eww, this place does not have anything nice” from the yuppies. Veloshop kinda occupies this awkward place in the bikeshop hierarchy. Just 2 seconds ago this guy came in “just a repair shop huh?” as I point out all the bikes for sale in front of him. And just before him the guy who, “don’t you guys sell any used parts?” as I point to the case of used parts in front of him. Seems like I can’t please everybody!

Had a really good chat with Ira Ryan about the dynamics of my shop and the reputation it has. The fine line of being affordable enough that people without alot of money can get bike work done and charging enough so that the shop is sustainable and you can afford the life you want to live. (my 50ft yacht) I certainly feel like we are worth a lot more than we end up charging and, it would be nice to have rent on time once in a while.

18 comments for “It's a cold world out there.”

1. I am so glad you picked the money at teh USGP race!!! Damn cycling news showed pics of the “Barry Wick’s” and such riding buy the cans and had caoptions like “Barry decides to pass up on the dough and ride on”… Of course he does, he’s freaking winning and get’s paid to do that…. Why was there no pics of Molly Cameron jacking the dough??? bull shit!

Also, never bring the date to a race… they always say they want to come and watch, but it is always a change in routine and disruptive. Trust me, I love me wife but it’s better when she stays home!!! No worries, I tell her that all the time!

Posted by CA | November 26, 2005, 8:52 pm
  2. You own a bike shop. Capitalism has its problems, but WTF?

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2005, 11:05 pm
  3. don’t listen to the punks or the yuppies. just listen to the people who appreciate all the work you put into that place.

i mean, come on. You can carry WHATEVER YOU WANT… how much does that kick ass?

seriously.

no complaining about capitalism until you work at the Gallery

Posted by kid | November 27, 2005, 1:08 pm
  4. Whoa whoa whoa.

Is that an indictment on capitalism? Or the Bike Gallery?

Show me another political/economic system that can govern any more than 20 people, and maybe you’ll have a good point. Communism? Nope. Socialism? Nope. Fascism? Nope. What would you suggest.

Yeah, there’s problems with capitalism. But most of the problems have to do with how the government enacts our own special form of capitalism, complete with farm subsidies and tax benefits to the wrong group of people.

People that criticize often forget to ask themselves “What’s the alternative?”

And that’s coming from a Chinaman.

Posted by Ping Pong Says... | November 27, 2005, 3:20 pm
  5. show me a system that works better and I’ll show you a racer without a blog

Posted by Chestre Concordia | November 27, 2005, 3:36 pm
  6. ping pong rules! RULES!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2005, 4:59 pm
  7. I’m not taking shots at ANY other bikeshops…

Hell, I was the one snatching a few bucks every lap at the last bike race I did. I’m not shy about working for money. It is a reality I live.

When I am critical about capitalism it is really me being critical about myself. I’m really sensitive about my impact on the world around me and how I interact with my enviroment and the people in it.

I started my bikeshop with an entirely different goal than making money. The shop has developed into something different than my initial idea. Sometimes I get really excited when the shop is doing well (that usually means it is making a lot of money and flowing smoothly) and I have to take a step back and remember that there is more to be excited about than the pursuit of capital.

Though it does lend a sense of security and stability. This is the first time in 5 years the shop has felt really stable.

Sorry, I really did not have a big anti-capitalist shpeel prepared. I have just recently started dealing with larger amounts of money than I ever have been responsible for before and, also taking responsibilty for paying another person on time and it is all really new ground for me.

Trying not to get absorbed by numbers and keep some sense of humanity in my business practice.

Posted by Molly Cameron | November 27, 2005, 6:37 pm
  8. hey molly and all, if there are any KRAZY weight freaks out there check this out.
    enjoy.
    oh and thanks for a killer road ride with gravel and a 47 mph decent.
    ira ryan

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2005, 9:32 pm
  9. what a bunch of 1st world crybabies.

Bottom line: i need a rig to race on this coming season.

Posted by Nicholas Brandt-Sorenson III | November 27, 2005, 9:58 pm
  10. Those bikes aren’t very vanilla if you ask me.

I bet I could get my orbea down below 8 lbs, all I need is a one time use plastic cassette and chainring and some “pliers required” downtube shifters. Then I’m gonna race cross on it.
    Can I borrow someone’s mastercard?

Posted by Dean | November 28, 2005, 3:19 pm
  11. dude, nick. Get your own blog! so what kind of parts do you need?

(We’re sending you a wheel set.)

J-rock

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2005, 8:29 am
  12. This post has been removed by a blog administrator.

Posted by Scrappy Doo | November 29, 2005, 3:45 pm
  13. Hey Molly,

You doin’ both cross races this wknd? Salem/Eugene. Should be muddy.

Myra

Posted by Myra Maines | November 29, 2005, 7:50 pm
  14. Saw a play last night based on “It’s a Wonderful Life”, reading this made me think about that part after the angel (Clarence) shows Bailey what life would have been like if he was never born. He returns to his town which old man Potter has taken over and basically turned into a sleazy, capitalist run hell hole.

If it weren’t for local shops like yours we’d be doomed to chain bike shops. (I’m talking big mega bike shops here). Your shop, or “the shop” as it’s often referred to transcends this capitalist arguement.

Think about how different all our lives would be if Veloshop was some huge mega-chain bike shop.

Throw elbows
    ~Patrick W.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2005, 10:14 pm
  15. I hate to break it to you, but you’re living in a “capitalist run” society.

Don’t confuse what Molly’s doing with something other than capitalism. It’s great that she’s small and local and she’s got her niche, but she’s trading goods and services for money, just like in any other business.

Now if Molly was, for example, taking a bunch of money from each of you, pooling it, deciding what each one of you needed and giving that to you, that would be something other than capitalism. But until she runs her business like that, she’s not really doing anything fundamentally different than anybody else.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2005, 9:53 am
  16. “There’s this concept about how if you’re succesfull, you’re being “male”, and I’ve always equated it with the punk thing of if you’re trying to earn a living, you’re being “capitalist”. Both these arguments stem from the idea
    that power is always corrupt and that it’s not possible for anybody to have any kind of power without being an asshole with it. That’s a really pessimistic idea. It allows the oppressor to define what success is…..Why can’t we take over the word success and have different forms of success that are about doing the things that make us really happy without sacrificing ourselves? Why is sacrificing yourself the highest rule of the day in Western society?It’s sick! We can try to create alternative models for
    economic systems.”

Kathleen Hanna from an
    interview in 1998. The complete interview is in the book WE Owe You
    Nothing.

Thanks a ton to Elizabeth W. for the quote. I lost faith in Kathleen Hannah a while back but, I can still find inspiration from things said a decade ago.

Posted by Molly Cameron | December 1, 2005, 6:11 pm
  17. Sure, I understand “the shop” exchanges goods and services for cash.

I was trying to reinforce the point that “the keeper of the shop” is pretty conscious about how the business is run. Things happen at “The shop” that go beyond the keeper just trying to make a buck, ideas are exchanged, freindships are made, and a sense of community is reinforced.

So in that sense I think the “keeper” has done something very different. You take away that sense of community and you have “Pottersville”

Besides I hear she can ride a bike pretty damn well.

Patrick W.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2005, 2:10 pm
  18. Good luck trying to please everybody. People will mostly try to e insulting if they don;t get what you are trying to do. If you don’t carry Trek, I guess that means that you are not a bike shop, ha! I despise that mindset, I go the ther direction entirely, why carry trek when you can cary something else that is so much better? Right? Everyone who has come into my shop looking for Trek I sell them a Jamis. :) Good luck, looks like nice shop.

Posted by Frank Brigandi | December 3, 2005, 10:46 am