Health insurance?

Who has it?

Well really, who has health insurance and is happy with it? I’m shopping around for some. Interested in something better than the bare minimum coverage. I’ve looked around a little and I think I mentioned it before that I would love to give my money to HealthNet since they are indirectly paying for Doug to drive a scooter to and from hospitals in Belgium.

And race his bike sometimes…

Healthnet, Kaiser? Do either of those provide coverage for naturopathic or massage stuff?

Any help?

10 comments for “Health insurance?”

1. yes, Kaiser has a natural medicine clinic. Not sure about the massages.
    I hear they have a pretty good ER guy!!! Then again, it’s definately bad news if you are seeing me in the ER.

What about the Health Coverage through USA Cycling???

Posted by patrick | May 7, 2006, 7:06 pm
  2. Two/three years ago I was on Oxford and remember that they had a pretty decent coverage for “alternative medicine”.

Posted by Quino | May 8, 2006, 7:19 am
  3. Posted by Matt | May 8, 2006, 9:46 am
  4. I used to have HealthNet, back when I had a job that offered such a thing, and I never had a problem with it. I would recommend them insomuch as they were leaps and bounds better than the few other insurance carriers I’ve had (Kaiser and Blue Cross), but I do so with reservations because I don’t know how much cost in its entirety.

I do know that HealthNet has several plans, many of which included alternative options, and that I never had a problem with them covering the things I needed. Getting Blue Cross to pay for ANYTHING was like pulling teeth (which they don’t pay for unless you fill out forms in triplicate), and I am one of the few people who had few problems with Kaiser. My main concern with them was that I saw a different doctor nearly every time I had an appointment, because their General Practitioners don’t stick around very long.

Also, whenevr I needed anything gyno-related, I had to get a referral. Seriously. That’s a major faux pas in my book.

Posted by Scout | May 8, 2006, 3:22 pm
  5. Happy to chat about this sometime; too many variables to write. Let’s hook up for a ride or coffee sometime if you’re still weighing the options.
    Cheers,
    JV

Posted by JV | May 8, 2006, 8:55 pm
  6. I have healthnet through my company. I’ve used it twice now… urgent care for a hand injury and then the ER last weekend after going over my bars and letting my face break my fall. I’m happy w/ it. I just don’t understand the bills. legacy sent me one the other day saying I owe $50, then I got another saying I owe$125 and that my insurance covered $25 of my bill? what…. i don’t know. i need to read through my stuff.
    I have bluecross for my dental and I haven’t ventured into that.
    I used to have kaiser and they were retarded.

Posted by josh m | May 8, 2006, 9:38 pm
  7. Adrienne is looking at HealthNet for the two of us. It is a little more $ per month than Kaiser (what we have now – no complaints yet, but we haven’t had to use it) but we will get 9 visits each per year to the massage therapist at $15, as well as acupuncture and naturopathy with the HealthNet. Sweet.

Posted by jeremiah | May 8, 2006, 9:49 pm
  8. hey molly- be a pal and post your findings! i’ve got fortis and it sucks! sucks! so far i can only get about 50% coverage from my last ER visit in NYC since apprently my stitches and x-rays are being considered “elective.” i get no naturaopathic benefits and and as far as i can tell they’re pretty weak on women’s healthcare . . .why do i keep giving them my $$?

Posted by littlest unicorn | May 8, 2006, 10:53 pm
  9. I have Great-West through work. They totally rock, my only comparisons being from past jobs that provided Kaiser and BlueCross, and a little bit of the Oregon Health plan. I think covereage depends on the plan, and how much you’re willing to spend.

Great West covers pretty much everything. I’ll have to dig my plan out, but I get Medical and Dental, affordable co-pays on visits and prescritions, reasonable rates on some surguries, they pcover for naturopathic, chiropractic, I think massage in some cases, partial disability. No real list of special plan owned GP’s, decent freedom to select your care-provider. I would reccommend them as one of the better insurance companies; however my coverage is mostly subsidized by my employer so I don’t know what the costs would be otherwise.

Posted by Quenton | May 10, 2006, 1:13 am
  10. I have Blue Cross as a self-employed thing. If I were to break a limb again, it wasn’t bad – other than that I think it’s crap. They only cover one acupuncture clinic in town (my plan anyhow) and it’s not walking distance for me – so I ended up just going to one down close by and footing the bill (BTW, she is GREAT). There dental isn’t bad.

Posted by Kurt | May 11, 2006, 8:53 am