My first masters race.

Ok.

I did it.

It was almost scarier than actually turning 30.
I entered my first masters age group race.

While technically not 30 years old yet, it says 30 on my racing license and I took advantage of that to enter the Monday night masters race at PIR.

I got spanked by some old guys with a couple centuries and a couple hundred pounds on me.

9 comments for “My first masters race.”

1. What happened? I thought you were fast?

Posted by wallflower | May 23, 2006, 7:55 am
  2. Ha! Cracked me up….I’ve been fastidiously avoiding Monday PIR; not to mention shaving my head of all gray hairs. I tell myself that racing category races is harder, but the reality is that those grizzled, chiseled old bastards look mean. And fast.
    30, eh? You practically have one foot in the grave. :)
    JV

Posted by JV | May 23, 2006, 8:52 am
  3. So, my ass does look huge in that skinsuit. Good.

Posted by Peter Drake | May 23, 2006, 10:43 am
  4. Let’s talk about Manolo.

Its looking bad–Liberty is pulling sponsorship effective immediately. What does this bode for Vino at Le Tour?

Jan has his name attached to this ugly little affair!

I had really wanted to believe Roberto last year, but we all know how that turned out. Now this? Oh my.

Posted by cogswell | May 25, 2006, 10:40 am
  5. Yes Peter, I’m sorry, your butt looks big in that Fred Meyer skinsuit. I thought I had you beat too…

Liberty Seguros!

I have to admit it. I was not too excited about Vino being on that team. The kit is ugly and, no real support riders for him. Not that he would use them anyways. I am glad Liberty pulled out. Fuck it. It is spendy enough sponsoring a team and the payoff is nothing compared to the headache. Bad business for them to be associated with the next big doping scandal. We all remember Festina as the company behind the 98′ doping scandal. And wether they like it or not, Festina will forever be remembered for that.

Jan’s never ridden good enough to be doping…

Posted by Molly | May 25, 2006, 11:19 am
  6. Tell me you’re kidding about Jan. I know you are.

Liberty has no support riders? That must be because their other doped guys are wreaking havoc elsewhere on the ProTour calendar…

Posted by Slim | May 25, 2006, 1:20 pm
  7. Since when did Vino ever need support?… except maybe a few pills

Posted by Corndorkia | May 25, 2006, 5:42 pm
  8. Festina . . . Nice watches.

Liberty . . . Boston represent!

Wurth . . . they make screws! I just learned that.

Vino . . . like you said, “not that he would use them anyway”. If he keeps his focus through all this, he should still be able to round out the podium behind Valverde and Basso in July.

The kit . . . best in the ’06 protour. And Vino in his Kazakh baby blue–couldn’t you just hump him? F.D. Jeux gets honorable mention. You probably like T-mob for the pink.

J. Ullrich . . . I believe L’equipe’s story about Lance. I don’t believe in Tyler’s disappearing twin. I believe that Roberto is guilty guilty guilty. And now Jan has his name on a list that goes along with hundreds of frozen and tagged sacs of blood–you can probably guess what I believe there.

Basso . . . looks resplendent in pink, but allegedly his name is on the list too–he could end up looking a little uglier by the time this is all done.

M. Saiz . . . say it ain’t so Manolo, say it ain’t so. Well, it least it wasn’t Bjarne–I’d have been crushed. With Manolo, Im just disappointed.

Posted by cogswell | May 25, 2006, 7:57 pm
  9. Vino to Disco? A match made in hell?

Cheers from Tallahassee, FL. Enjoyed shooting the shit with you last week during my visit. Thank God I don’t work for Transwerve anymore.

Good luck with the Old Dogs.

Posted by juancho | May 26, 2006, 8:29 pm