Local cyclocross! Barlow high school!

Cross Vegas was a wash.

The beast and the only americano in Boulder City.Drove this beast back and forth from the outdoor demo and airport on Monday and Tuesday. Spent way too many hours walking around the show meeting people and saying hi on Wednesday. Not much in the way of good vegan grub in Vegas either.

I had no legs at CXVegas and decided to enjoy the company of a beer for the last 6 laps of the race.

Ok, 2 beers.

Fast forward to Barlow high school today. Clogged sinuses and a head cold has seen me popping naturopathic decongestants since the flight home.

The race today was muddy. Really muddy. I started off good and fast and then my shifting froze up and decided to stop working. I had to stop a few times to screw with the rear mech to no avail. I don’t imagine I’ll be running x-brand drive trains anymore this season.

Funny how it takes one really muddy race to let you know how poorly something will work in the mud. No, I am not going to tell you what I was running.

Chris Sheppard took the win with Shannon close behind. I became comfortable with 5th place behind an awesome Sean Babcock and the Donald.

Aero cat!!It took me longer to clean my gear and unpack than it did to finish the race today.

Crossing my fingers that I’ll be feeling 100% at some point this cx season.

Off to rest… I’ll leave you with the Aero Cat.

9 comments for “Local cyclocross! Barlow high school!”

1. Good race. You were laying down the power up there. I barely made the start line. Oops. I’ve been on the fence about my “x-brand” shifters too, especially now that I have 5 races on them. First time in the mud worked ok for me. I am only keeping them for the time being because I can rebuild the internals. Couldn’t do that before w/ my old “brand-x” shifters. Plus those were much heavier.

Posted by cdb | September 30, 2007, 9:28 pm
  2. I could see the mud issues coming when things got finicky on my road bike in the icky spring this year. Better to find out now than in November or December.

What naturopathic decongestants are you using? I’ve got some serious gunk in my sinuses, and it ain’t leaving until the first frost.

Posted by Mark | October 1, 2007, 6:57 am
  3. For a decongestant try guaifenesin (aka Mucinex). It isn’t a naturopathic, but from my readings it is one of the most harmless pharmaceuticals out there. It was recommended to me by my naturopath. You do need to increase your fluid intake to make sure it doesn’t dry you out, but otherwise no weird effects like sudafed.

Posted by Richard | October 1, 2007, 11:12 am
  4. You see Donald’s equipment problem? A couple laps in, he broke his f’ing front tooth off.

Sorry the AeroCat didn’t flash… though it’s appealingly disconcerting the way it is. Meeorw!

Posted by markwelder | October 1, 2007, 11:26 am
  5. Astute viewers will deduct the X-Brand components from the bummer life photo. I’m personally glad for the heads-up. I’ve been heavily considering X-Brand components for my new build.

Think I’ll stick with ol’ reliable.

Posted by C9 | October 1, 2007, 12:01 pm
  6. not quite as crisp but another “deducible” photo is here: flickr photo

that guaifenesin is the only thing that works to clear up my messed up sinuses…

but…

there ain’t no better cure than prevention ;-)

Back to the “drive train” i wonder perhaps if this is the same drive train that if crashed into sand doesn’t shift (levers that is) Warwick last year had Anna M’s bike decomish for like 4 laps while Merlin worked feverishly to make the “simple” rebuildable mechanism work? Lots of the other two big component integrated shift levers went for sand baths but they all kept working…

Posted by gewilli | October 3, 2007, 6:33 am
  7. I pretty much had to toss my STI lever after I augered it in the sand in Warwick last year. I got two more races out of it before it was done for good.

It’s enough to make a fella want to go back to bar end shifters.

Posted by Mark | October 3, 2007, 11:18 am
  8. Here’s a simple sinus solution. In one cup of boiling water dissolve 1 tsp of salt (not iodinized) and 1 tsp baking soda. Let cool till warm and pour liquid into one of those tiny 1 shot alcohol bottles (2oz). tile head back like you’re ptuting in contacts and pour up into sinuses until it runs down the back of your throat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. (from the doc who did my sinus surgery)

Posted by probinson | October 3, 2007, 12:57 pm
  9. Cross Vegas may have been a wash, but you put on a great show. As spectators, we loved every moment.

Posted by Stephanie | October 4, 2007, 9:44 pm