You don't have to be fast to motorpace.

As proven the other morning…

I’m slowly healing. The ribs… there is just nothing you can do for them. I stopped popping ibuprofen like candy, it was tearing my guts to pieces. I’m not racing this weekend and I am trying to cancel my non-refundable flight to NJ for the next round of the USGP. I contacted the USGP promoters and they have refunded my race entries (thanks!) so, I’ll not be racing the next round.

I’ve been able to ride a little bit. I actually motorpaced on Wednesday and it was fine going all out on the flat but, when I have to tug on the bars to sprint or climb, it is a bad scene.

I’ve taken a big step backwards in my cyclocross race season and I’m having a bit of a hard time getting a handle on it.

It has been a painful couple of weeks in too many ways. My friends death and a couple of other deaths pretty close to me, at pretty much the same time of year my mom passed away last year.

I went out to the World cyclocross singlespeed championships in Estacada Oregon today and watched the festivities.

Spent most of the day saying: “no, I’m not racing, my ribs are busted.” and then feeling like an ass for even being out there and standing/riding around having to say that to everyone. Felt better than hanging out at home feeling sorry for myself. I’m telling you, my shit f’ing hurts! I’m not out looking for sympathy… I’d rather avoid talking to everyone so I don’t have to whine about being hurt but then that backfires when people think I am being “too pro” to talk to them.

Trust me, talking about being hurt is boring. As boring as talking about bicycles can get sometimes! (ouch, did I just say that?)

Talked to lots of awesome people, talked to some total douchebags.

Rad to see the extended Vanilla family murdering it on the singlespeed Speedvagens.

I’ve rented an apartment in Leuven. How sweet is that?

Now I just have to figure out how I am getting my 10 pairs of carbon tubular wheels over there.

I’ve got some photos to upload and as dismal as this entry sounds, things have been really awesome back home in Portland.

I’ll find some time to ruminate on better things soon.

9 comments for “You don't have to be fast to motorpace.”

1. Molly, I’m sorry you are feeling bad. It will get better. We will really really miss you in NJ’ but Clayton and I will see you in Portland……………….Tim

Posted by Tim | November 10, 2007, 6:34 pm
  2. ouch, yeah, broken ribs really hurt. i broke some ribs the day after I got my new bike from you this summer! it was the same day i graduated from high school, and 36 hours before i went back to japan! super not fun flying with them is it.

really sorry to hear that you hurting with this and that (even being half way around the world, I cried when i hurt about Brett), but always glad to hear whats going on the wacky world of Molly Cameron.

much love,

Peter

Posted by Peter | November 11, 2007, 2:26 am
  3. in reference to talking about bikes being boring, yes you did just say that. There are moments in the shop where the last thing I want to do is talk “bikes” with someone. Or to have a guy leave b/c even though we have white deda tape and white cinelli tape (and maybe even white fizik), he wants white tape that has “Bianchi” embossed on it b/c thats what he has now. I don’t wanna sound like, “yeah, I know how you feel” b/c everyone’s experience is unique, but I’ll just say that it’s rough sometimes. I hope you heal up quick (both physically and emotionally) and are able to completely focus on the remaining season. Get better and don’t push it too hard too fast! Then get out there and lay’em to waste.

Posted by jason | November 11, 2007, 4:12 pm
  4. I know how you feel… When I got mono and showed up to a couple track races just to watch I got so sick of reciting the same story over and over again… The monotony of it was agravating.

Posted by Fiona | November 13, 2007, 6:59 am
  5. hey molly, just wanted to wish you well. Hope you heal soon. Been thinking about you.

You pal,
    Melissa

Posted by mel | November 14, 2007, 6:58 am
  6. http://www.koga.com/kimera/
    just b/c i know you have time to watch Euro mpegs while not riding (as much)

Posted by matt wade | November 14, 2007, 9:31 pm
  7. Try a broken shoulder. That definitely puts a damper on training, or hell, just getting out of bed in the morning.

Posted by Tom | November 15, 2007, 5:46 pm
  8. i know this is random… i’ve done a ton of griefwork, lost too many close friends in too many stupid ways, taught predocs a bereavement class for a while.. and when i’m not bikin’ i’m a shrink (everything shrink work-wise is about grieving in some way)… and i wanted to tell you to read a book that helped me deal and showed me how to live with it….its by steven and ondrea levine and its called ‘who dies’…..

luck,

noel.

Posted by swoop/noel | November 17, 2007, 9:01 pm
  9. dying ain’t that bad. a shit life sucks, though.

go bring some vanilla to those Eurodouches.

Posted by vanderpoop | November 28, 2007, 5:54 am