"twenty five! twenty five!"

I managed to stay on my bike and barely on the same lap yesterday. The race was pretty rough, as you will read on the cyclingnews sites.

Talk about drifting! Never hit the deck but I was hanging that leg out in the corners like a maniac!

My heart goes out to the injured riders. (Powers, Trebon en co.) That sucks so bad, hope it does not keep them off the bike for the next month of racing.

I had a good start, snuck up into the top 15 and yes, gradually my engine failed me and I drifted back in to the 30′s and finally up into a little chase for 23rd. Finished it up taking the sprint.

I am a tyre pressure nerd and was running shy of 20 psi again yesterday. It was a little low for the different conditions so as I rode pass the boxes I shouted through frozen lips: “25 psi!”. When I swapped bikes I hopped on and it was like “what the fuck!!” Someone misunderstood me and snuck 30+ psi in there and it was crazy!

I am a tyre pressure nerd but, I also believe in the school of: “it is the legs not the equipment” So I stuck with it and took a beating!

In hindsight I think I was riding conservatively too, I’ve still got the post-crash jitters. If there ever was a course to re-injure yourself, that was it. Someone said it, there was just about one speed to take the course and if you took bigs risks, you would crash and lose lots of time. That is generally the nature of cx I guess.

So now I am sitting in a cafe near the KC airport, flying into Chicago, Dublin and finally Amsterdam. Renting a car and driving my gear to Leuven. In a twist of fate, the guy I am renting the flat from came home to KC for the holidays and we met up last night for an in person handover of the house keys! Pretty sweet, thanks Allen!

It has been a hard season so far but with so much time off the last couple months, I am motivated to do some hard riding in Europe. I’m nervous and pumped to head over!

9 comments for “"twenty five! twenty five!"”

1. Now you just got to get back to racing like a juiced Euro Crosser:

“Page was banging into me like it was some juiced-up Euro World Cup race,” Wells said. “I figured if Johnson caught on, at least one of us could beat him.”

Damn straight.

Posted by Mark Beattie | December 17, 2007, 12:39 pm
  2. Did you run your custom Schwalbe treads on FMB’s? Good job and congrats on not getting frostbite. Hopefully Euroland will treat you right. Have fun.

Posted by cdb | December 17, 2007, 1:19 pm
  3. I witnessed the “banging” and Wellsey looking back and giving him a WTF??

Sat next to said pit crew on the plane last night who thought they heard 35!!!!!

Good luck in your Sophmore Euro Season, see you in Treviso….

Posted by Patrick | December 17, 2007, 3:39 pm
  4. Hey Molly,

Interesting blog! I like your pictures and following your race results. Good luck in Europe.

BTW, We met last week when I bought the Stronglight Pulsion cranks at Veloshop.

Posted by Greg Bae | December 17, 2007, 7:21 pm
  5. Molly, way to keep the rubber side down, sounds like it was crazy sketchy out there! Safe travels, keep us posted on the European campaign.

Posted by Ruben | December 17, 2007, 10:39 pm
  6. Nice ride Molly! I’m glad to hear you kept it upright. I’m sorry we didn’t get to catch up at all.

It was definitely a course that hurt when you hit the ground.

Good luck in Euro-land and congratulations on the WC selection. You rock!

Posted by Mark | December 18, 2007, 3:00 pm
  7. Molly- Sorry about the pressure mixup. It sounded crazy to me but I figured you’re the boss… Well, it was a good course to be a little conservative on anyways. One side of my body is all black and blue from my ice sliding adventures. I slowed down a lot after that crash.
    It sounds like you arrived safe and sound. Keep us updated on Europa.

Posted by Estebon | December 19, 2007, 12:27 pm
  8. I rode the same way, gun shy, and conservative. My wife told me not to come back all jacked up! I ran 25psi it was plush. Good luck out there!

Posted by kevin | December 19, 2007, 5:35 pm
  9. Nice work out there last weekend and nice meeting you in the warmup tent. Saturday’s race was sick fast especially on that course and I ended up watching the finish from the sidelines after getting pulled. Good job coming back Sunday and killing it again. Good luck across the pond.

Posted by Rich | December 20, 2007, 5:08 am