heroes.

The legend.Watched some spandorks ride around in circles last weekend at the Mt. Hood classic stage race in Hood River, Oregon.

Doug about to light it up!It was nice to run into all the cx racers I know who are also PRO roadies.

I saw Tim Johnson so, I introduced Pete and was congratulating him on a decent Euro cx campaign. He put an imaginary gun to his head and pulled the trigger. “It’s suicidal to go over there, but I’m going again.” he shrugged. I agreed with him and added something like: “well, it is brutal but, it is fun.”

jay and bee importers“Fun?” came the almost-scoffing response.

And I felt like a kid in high school again. Hanging out with the older skaters, I would chime in about a band I liked and they would tell me how stupid liking that band is.

Not calling TJ out as a big jerk or anything. (being aware of how shit talking tends to get around here) But the psychology of the bike racer continues to amaze me. Or it could just be that I truly am a dork and don’t deserve a whole lot of respect.

I got nervous and tried to back track in defense of myself. “yeah, FUN but hard, I mean… yeah. Hard. Um, yeah…” I realized that I had not said anything stupid but, I felt like I had. And then I felt stupid for feeling stupid. I wanted to engage in a conversation with someone I consider a peer but then, I forget the feeling is unlikely mutual.

My lady is a smartypants.I must not forget that all of these racers I race with every weekend may or may not want anything to do with me. “who knows the deal with the weird transgender cross dressing guy who thinks he’s a girl who thinks he’s a bike racer. That is fucked up.”

He walked off and I was left standing there like I had put my foot in my mouth in front of one of the cool kids.

Adam Myerson gives me shit when I talk about racing being fun. “fucking my girlfriend is fun.” He says. “bike racing is not fun.”

2 bar in the tubulars. 2 bar in the auto.I think it is a load of crap that we all don’t enjoy the bicycle game. Though Barry Wicks is one of the few riders I can remember being visably super stoked on a particular course or race. Parbo always has a good time too and comes out of the race chatting everyone up being charming and smiling and making dinner plans for the weekend.

It is almost like riders need to validate their profession. Never talking about it as FUN. Fun is what you do with toys and girls apparently. And keep your cards close to your chest. You don’t want to be seen hanging out with the wrong crowd. It always blows my mind that it is so hard to get to know some of these guys.

A study in gameface: The careless smirk. The “this is going to hurt” grimace.I think most of the riders I have met are pretty interesting but so much time is wasted engaging in schoolyard posturing and staring each other down. It is still amazing that I can walk up to a PRO racer pal at a big road or cx event and they will stare right through me until I chime in, “hey… um… hi there.” “oh, hey Molly.”

I like to enjoy my time traveling and racing. This shit is hard but, yes, it is f’ing fun.

I refuse to believe that these dudes truly do not feel it is. Racing for a paycheck is one thing but, one can make much, much more money doing something they dislike a little more than riding the bicycle.

I spent some time thinking about heroes on a long ride recently and remembered hearing about this.

Hmmm.

There are douche bags and there are douche bags.

Check out the hang time on these sunglasses. Too EURO for you?Riding with a PRO contract does not mean you have to be an amazing representative for the sport or…

Wait, it kinda does. Can’t really argue your way out of that one. Being intense is one thing, being so intense you are inconsiderate of others?

Is there a correlation between talent and privilege?

Or is there a correlation between douchebags and privilege?

Or is it douchebags and talent?

Calling it as I see it.

(Pete pointed out the above sounds like I am talking about TJ again. I’m not. FYI: I don’t think he is a douche.)

Was up in Seattle last weekend (the sunny one) for work related stuff.

geometryVisited HSP and CBS. Rode around the city in an Organic Athlete kit, drank lots of iced espresso and lemonade. The weather in the NW jumped head first into summer leaving us sunburned and in awe of the amazing sun dresses.

HUP will never get me but, I’m feeling the folks on the squad.

Boys and their cupcakes:Late night cupcake sessions, yes.

Friday night, “we are racer nerds with no social skills” hang out sessions?

check.

10 comments for “heroes.”

1. I hope to race cx someday. When (not if) I see you, I will say ‘hi’ way more than is appropriate, even though you see quite pro to me,

Posted by Jono | May 25, 2008, 7:31 pm
  2. HUP will get everyone.

Posted by joe | May 25, 2008, 8:29 pm
  3. I think racing is fun, but I don’t want it to be too fun, the hardships make the good moments amazing. It was cool hanging out with you in Portland, I hope your new studio is a huge success.

Also, TJ had a tough week and maybe his time in Europe really wasn’t fun. It is possible.

Roman

Posted by rk | May 25, 2008, 11:00 pm
  4. wait, you mixed espresso and lemonade?

Posted by Peter | May 26, 2008, 6:32 am
  5. First off, like Joe said, HUP *will* get everyone.

Second, the whole roadies as good ppl (in comparison to the CX crowd) is something I have thought a lot about but never really gotten anywhere with. IME, there are cool roadies and less than cool roadies. Avoiding the latter group is key. That said, there are very very few less than cool CX riders.

Third, are you doing Tour of Ohio again this year? I saw your name in the results from last year when I was looking through them to get a feel for just how hard the race will be.

Posted by josh | May 26, 2008, 8:32 pm
  6. speaking of pro racing and keeping a good attitude, check out the cyclingnews article with andy hampsten from last week – ostensibly it’s an “ex-pro bike” article but it’s got a pretty sweet quote from andy about racing and fun at the end.

Posted by andrew | May 27, 2008, 7:12 am
  7. well i think its fun watching Molly race (err clean up) at Alpenrose. Will you be out there this june 8 ? I might even get my fat ass up there to watch. You know that super intense racing is great prep for cyclocross.. which ok is maybe still a little far off…

Posted by john | May 30, 2008, 3:22 pm
  8. I think it comes from where people find validation in bike racing. Are you racing against other people or are you really racing against yourself.

I’m not saying that it’s unimportant to have other people to race against, but for me the true source of validation and accomplishment is coming from myself, not from who I beat. Otherwise I sure wouldn’t have a lot of fun. Maybe it is a certain type of person who finds validation in beating others that happens to filter to the top of the ranks.

Who knows, all I know is that I like to race cause it’s fun and satisfying.

-Andre “just an expert class mtb racer” Pinter

^
    Sarcasm font for the nick name

Posted by Andre | May 30, 2008, 4:36 pm
  9. just read this from Kenji’s post.
    love it! just love it.
    first off, your first rate and great! I think you put class into the sport of CX.
    but I also feel like I’ve had the same experience with you too… at races.
    it just show’s sometimes it the space we (me) are in, who know’s I know it wasn’t on purpose but sometimes we all send mixed messages.
    one thing for sure this is a truley elitest sport with alot of people who think they are better than others. any how great read. I need to check up more often. cheers and best wishes

Posted by marco | June 3, 2008, 10:34 am
  10. Heard on the start line at Chainbreaker in Bend this year:
    “Barry how was Europe?”
    “Fucking Awesome”

Heard as TJ was doubling me and 3 others at USGP in PDX
    “FUCK guys, Fucking on your RIGHT!” (or something to that effect)

Posted by Patrick | June 7, 2008, 3:37 pm