heartbroken.

Oh man! I had the legs, I had the momentum!

And it ended face down in the mud.

I am heartbroken. Completely shattered that it ended like that. I hit the deck hard. (oh what I would not give to have the Cross Crusade races finish with a 200meter road section, like every other cyclocross race in the world!)

I went through a world of emotions last night and ended up bawling in the car after eating dinner with Pete at the Blossoming Lotus. I was feeling pretty shafted.

I stole this photo from PDXCross as it says it all. Now go to their website and buy some pictures.

063.cyclocross.Barton-Park-300x200

Bumping is racing, I believe that.

13 comments for “heartbroken.”

1. What pain, I’m sure. But, your form must be spot-on to be in the thick of it like that. Keep your chin up.

Posted by jmg | November 16, 2009, 2:31 pm
  2. Hey there Molly,

I’m bummed as well for you. I was hoping it would work out for you. I wasn’t able to be on hand for the race, but the photo above summarizes what I missed. Bummer.

On a happier note, know even in your defeats that your riding style remains highly inspirational to those of us much slower than you. I’ve been as impressed with how you’ve handled your past two races as I was with your victories this year in the series. It is refreshing to see some one who approaches racing with their heart clearly in the forefront. Your racing style, approach and willingness to give it a go with a ‘why not?’ attitude leaves a positive memorable impression on others. Numerical results can’t really reflect your impact and contributions to the sport. That you always do it with a lot of dignity and respect is a bonus.

You are clearly a more improved rider this year and we see this when we see you race.

We’ll be out there cheering you on at the USGP races.

Posted by toddk | November 16, 2009, 3:21 pm
  3. Molly, your comments after the race reveal how much of a true champions you are. Waiting for another competitor is classy. Most of us would have kept on riding to win. You should be proud of the example you set for all of us. I’m proud to know you. Thanks.

Posted by Paul | November 16, 2009, 4:37 pm
  4. We were pulling for you, Molly! Sorry that it ended that way, but one helluva race to watch.

Hang in there and come back stronger!

Posted by Jeff Team Beer | November 16, 2009, 5:04 pm
  5. Dear Molly: A whole lot of us cried along with you yesterday.
    In spite of how it ended, you looked positively heroic out there.
    Thanks for giving it a zillion per cent.
    Your riding inspires me, and so many others.
    Keep at it and keep rocking the world.

Posted by beth h | November 16, 2009, 7:55 pm
  6. You are totally my hero.

Posted by Phil | November 16, 2009, 8:16 pm
  7. I can understand your disappointment for sure, but don’t be too hard on yourself. If only my best could be as good as your worst.

Posted by VeloLoser | November 17, 2009, 6:10 pm
  8. Just remember, it could always be worse! Keep the faith.. Good luck on the rest of your cross season!

Posted by Ross | November 17, 2009, 7:55 pm
  9. [...] loses the world’s biggest cyclocross series by the tiniest of margins? She sobs. And then she tells you about sobbing. Because it matters – and she works for it. And she’s not afraid to lay it out – [...]

Posted by Everyone Loves Molly | The Everyday Athlete | November 17, 2009, 9:51 pm
  10. Ahrd luck fella. Damn shame the way the race ended. If only…

Posted by chr15 | November 18, 2009, 3:22 am
  11. Really inspiring racing Molly. Sorry that the dice didn’t roll your way, but wow! What a ride.

Posted by AK | November 19, 2009, 3:20 pm
  12. Molly, I hope you don’t mind, I post at the velonews forum regularly and I posted this today.

The picture at the bottom of this post is Molly Cameron crashing 50 FEET from the finish and losing the Cross Crusade overall title this past Sunday. Henri alluded to it in a post this morning. I was there and this was absolutely crushing for any sports fan. The following is from Heidi Swifts blog. A hell of a finish in any sport, worthy of this poetic prose.

“But Molly? Molly is Molly. She’s our Euro correspondent. She goes across the pond and represents the PDX-ness. She’s got fucking sweet tattoos and hot-**** gear. She is more PRO than we will ever be in our lives. She races on f ucking D12 for godsake. She is sponsored by Shimano! All by herself! By Shimano!

Ok, clearly I’m getting worked up. But the bottom line is Molly Cameron is the Portland sweetheart. The Stumptown darling. A racer that we love and cheer for because of the sheer emotion that she brings to cyclocross. She trains with conviction, she races with her Cyclocross heart on her sleeve. She is unapologetic about her intensity and unflagging in her commitment to the sport. She’s everything. She’s Molly.

Truth be told, she was 75% of the reason I moved to Portland. I was reading her blog before I started cruising the Real Estate sites. She’s compelling and genuine. I still remember the first day I was introduced to her. [Giddy!]

So, yeah. I wanted Molly to win the Crusade. Really bad. I thought about it while we were out of town. I checked for updates. It was killing me.

And when the bits of news started to trickle in, my heart broke along with hers. It’s just a race, right? It’s just a series. But the beautiful thing about Molly Cameron is that she pedals every race as if its her last. As if every one were the most important. As if every section were those final feet to the finish.

And when she falls off her bike and crumples to the ground and loses the world’s biggest cyclocross series by the tiniest of margins? She sobs. And then she tells you about sobbing. Because it matters – and she works for it. And she’s not afraid to lay it out – on the course or on the internet. She shoots straight and tells you like it is.

And on Sunday she cried. Hard.

Sal and I shook our heads along with the rest of Portland and said, “Poor Molly!” We were thinking of her when we tucked in at night. We talked about her when we woke up in the morning. We drew breath sharply through our noses when the photo was released on PDXcross. You know the one.

It was a legendary race – one that Portland Crossers won’t soon forget. I can already see the old folk gathered around the fire telling exaggerated versions.

Maybe Molly wasn’t a hero in the classic sense on Sunday. Maybe we didn’t get Disney. But what is infinitely evident is that – Cross Crusade Crown or no – that little vegan bike racer is loved. By me and by many.”

Posted by Dan Kearl | November 19, 2009, 5:42 pm
  13. Hang in the Molly.
    Swift really says it better than anyone.
    PDX hearts MC.